Holme Valley Energy Champion Vacancy
Part-time 1 day per week, £ 25,500 p.a. pro-rata (initial 6 months contract with extension subject to funding and review)
Holme Valley Climate Action Partnership is working to bring together local community organisations and businesses to act on climate change. Home energy use is high on our agenda for potential carbon emission reduction projects, and with a cost-of-living crisis threatening to affect so many this coming winter, support for low-income families/households should be a priority.
The partnership are keen to build on the previous affordable warmth Initiative delivered through Holmfirth Transition Town (HoTT) over the last 10 years and offer energy advice and resources to those most in need of help. The project would involve working with partners to deliver existing resources directly to families/households in need, alongside drop
in sessions with in-person advice to access additional help and resources. Subject to funding further energy saving supplies will be obtained and delivered together with instructions on their most effective installation and use.
Role and responsibilities
The Energy Champion will plan and deliver energy advice through drop-in sessions and provide free resources, targeting those most in need through links with our partner organisations. Taking responsibility for the successful delivery of this project, the Energy champion will communicate with key partners, book venues, promote and deliver drop-in sessions, and work with the HVCAP team to help the project evolve to meet the needs of the local community.
The project initially seeks to advise on suitable ways to insulate homes and provide affordable warmth resources that can be easily installed by homeowners (including rental properties). Once in place, HVCAP are keen to develop support further, offering thermal imaging to households to help identify draughts and cold spots so householders can make simple affordable insulation improvements. The energy champion will be key to developing this new area of work and training will be provided to support the development of an effective service.
- Responsible for contacting and working with partner organisations • Obtaining and organising resources (materials) to be delivered
- Updating information packs for householders
- Organising/delivering drop-in sessions
- Promotion of sessions with support from HVCAP team
- Working with HVCAP development worker to attract funding for the continuation/expansion of the project
- Working with HVCAP board to develop the provision of a thermal imaging offer to local households with potential home-visits
Future work could involve supporting HVCAP to develop further Energy projects.
- Good communication skills
- A good understanding of home energy saving measures and practical skills sufficient to advise householders on the installation of basic energy saving resources
- Track record in community work and or practical home maintenance work Personal qualities
- Commitment to working in partnership with other local organisations • Self-motivated
- Ability to relate well to others
- Ability to organize and prioritise workload
- Comfortable in working alone with the minimum of supervision
Terms and conditions of employment
Pro-rata to a base salary of £25,500 per annum, based on a 37.5 hour week.
Contract for 6 months, 1 day per week. The post is home-based with drop-in sessions at local Holme Valley venues. The post holder will require their own IT equipment to support their role. Hours to be worked flexibly to an agreed work programme.
Holiday entitlement 6 days
There is the possibility of an extension to the contract and an increase in hours, subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability. Any such developments will be discussed in the last month of the initial contract at the latest.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability for the post and outlining your ideas for making it a success to: email@example.com or call: 07536 982503 for more details.
Peter van Ruiten, Ingleside, Shaw Lane, Holmfirth, HD9 2PY.
The deadline for applications is the 31st December 2022, interviews will be held shortly afterwards.
Registered charity number: 1190733